Thanks for the Memories!! Let's do it again!

This whole elementary blog idea started in 2000 when a few RHS classmates' emails spread like wildfire. This blog consists mostly of conversations regarding our 40th reunion and, of course, memories from our elementary days. As we approach our 45th reunion, please share your comments, memories and wishes on our RHS Class of '70 Facebook page. Let's start with...
Are you interested in reuniting with your elementary classmates again in 2015?




So... how do I blog????

Please add a comment to any of these conversations! Look over our selection of blogs in the right menu, including those within past months. When you are feeling inspired, simply type a mesage in the "Post a Comment" text box. Underneath the comment box, open the "comment as" menu and select "name/url" (unless you have a listed profile). Type your name; you may leave the url blank. You may choose to be anonymous or include your name within the text as well. Select "Preview" if you would like to see what your comment will look like before it is published. You may choose to delete a message after it is published but it will leave a message stating "comment removed by blogger". Come on...You know you want to join us!

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Jerry Coleman?? Jr.? Sr.?

Jerry Coleman Sr. made a name for himself! Click here to read about him. Jerry Jr. where are you?
Anonymous said...

Rick Bowe states: A follow up on Jerry Coleman, jr and senior. Senior is an accomplished guy. They moved to San Diego before we entered high school. I have no stories about Jerry jr, but I do know that Jerry’s older sister, Diane (RHS ’68) is married to the brother of my dad’s lady friend. Yeah, go figure that one out.

Judy Schoneman Beirne said...

Bob Elgin adds: I say chalk one up to your Dad’s ladyfriend’s brother. Diane Coleman was very attractive as I recall.

Anonymous said...

Judy Hall Saydah recalls: Jerry Sr. was the 2nd baseman for the New York Yankees, then was a broadcaster for them. I think he retired as a broadcaster for the Padres and is in the broadcasters Hall of Fame. He was at a book signing last year at Bookends book store before the Yankee Old Timers game. I foolishly didn’t go.

They lived up the street from us. Susan Main lived almost across the street from him and remembers more than I. Jerry Jr. was in my second grade class. I remember him not feeling well in school one day. No one believed him because he had a way of crying wolf. Ended up he had his appendix out.

Diane went to my brother’s reunion in ’08 and all the guys said she is still absolutely gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Rick Bowe replies: Judy,

Great story about Jerry jr’s appendix. The things we remember…

Still gorgeous, huh? I have pretty high hopes for lots of you ladies out there in Oct. Plenty of time to get ready…drop a few, tone up.

Anonymous said...

Susan Main chines in: Jerry went away to boarding school. He used his ladder to exit his second floor bedroom too many times so his parents thought he needed a little more help. I don’t know if anyone knows or not, but I don’t think he is alive anymore. I spent much time in and around that house and have many fond memories. My brothers both have a baseball signed by all the Yankee greats and even saw Mickey Mantle in the buff…………

Yes, all the guys had the hots for Diane. Oh no, how many months do we have to work on our looks? That goes for you guys also!

Anonymous said...

Rick responds: I will look into Jerry Jr. On behalf of my guy friends, we accept the challenge also.

Anonymous said...

Hi--Dave Chandler herer--This discussion is very near and dear to me. Jerry (Jr.), or "little Jerry" as my family called him, was one of my two best friends as a young boy, when we both attended grades K-4 together at Travell, before we both moved to "upper" Ridgewood. We lived about 5 houses down from the Colemans before we both moved. I still have a picture of us with our arms around each other and our other best friend Stevie when we were about 6 or 7 that my Mom labeled "friends forever." I could tell you stories...like when Jerry convinced me to play hookie from school in first grade. Or when he burned down his backyard, or when he dug a huge hole in his backyard for fun, or when he would "hit the jackpot" at the Adventure Club at the Y and get 10 Cokes out of a machine for a single dime, or when he buried some cigarettes when we were in 5th grade and I smoked one with him for the first (and last) time. He was one of the first kids I remember to get an ID bracelet and then actually "go steady."

And Diane--she was gorgeous even as a kid. I think she may have modeled. I was in love with her as a 5-year-old. I still get warm, fuzzy feelings recalling being naked with her in a little blow-up pool in my backyard in the 50s...

Then there was Jerry Sr. What a dashing guy. When I had an accident as a kid he got me an autographed ball from the Yankees. I can still remember the color of the pen on it and all the greats names written on it, including the Mick. I can remember him driving me around in his flashy convertible. Once he took me and Jerry to a Yankee game and we got to sit in the broadcast booth. Then he took us to the clubhouse and I shook hands with two players. I can still remember their names and how they shook my hand. Incredible memories.

I know the Coleman family and little Jerry in particular always had huge challenges, many likely resulting from Jerry's career choice. I was saddened to hear that Louise (little Jerry's Mom) had died a number of years ago. I've tried to locate little Jerry a number of times to no avail. It would be terrible if he wasn't alive--if what Sue says above is true. I just went online and saw that big Jerry wrote a book. I'll order it and give it to my Dad for father's day I think. Having the "Coleman connection" definitely solidified my lifetime allegiance to the Yankees

Rick Bowe said...

From Rick Bowe: Dave, nice comments on the Colemans. Sounds like you were, in fact, very close. I imagine it would be great for you to reconnect with Jerry Jr, about whom I have an update.

My good friend (and fellow Graydon Pool life guard) Ken Ruhl (RHS '67) lived in San Diego in the 90's. He was close to Diane Coleman, who was then married to Ken's friend Mike Urbano. Jerry Sr. was still involved with the Padres, and Jerry Jr. was still involved, but, I gather, peripherally. Diane eventually divorced Mr. Urbano, and Ken moved away from San Diego, and the trail grew cold.

But, I called my friend yesterday, inquiring after Jerry Jr. He, in turn, called Mike Urbano, who believes that Jerry Jr. is very much alive, and living in Colorado, perhaps Inglewood, CO. We could have Irene track him down there, should be easy for her.

By the way, Diane Coleman is remarried. I believe to the younger brother of my father's lady friend. So there...

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks, Rick. I just received Jerry Sr's book, detailing his life as a Yankee and then broadcaster (elected to the Hall of Fame!) There's a pic of little Jerry in the book that just doesn't look anything like what he did as a kid. I would never recognize him on the street. Nor Diane--who unsurprisingly, is still gorgeous. Irene got an address for little Jerry in Lake Tahoe. I think I'll contact him.

Dave

Bob Elgin said...

Dave:
I've been following your comments. Very interesting. Jerry and I were friends as well during elementary school and into GW. It was funny. He was one of the nicest guys who always wanted to do bad things. I'm sure you're right, that his Dad and his career provided a lot of additional stress for him. At any rate, if you do get in touch with him, be sure to tell him I said hi. And for sure, let us know what you find out.

Rick Bowe said...

Dave,
Let us know how the book is. I may want to read it.
Rick

Susan Main Flannery said...

thanks Rick for the Jerry Jr. update- I am thrilled to hear he has been found!!

No comments:

Post a Comment